In the Orchard Garden, we used the equinox as an opportunity to conduct an experiment to measure the height of the sun using the "fist method," an ancient way to approximate the sun's angle above the horizon. Extending my arm fully and making a fist, I used the vertical height of my fist, which equates to about ~10 degrees (I think) in the sky. By stacking one fist on top of another from the horizon upward, we could count how many "fists" it took to reach the sun and multiply that number by 10 degrees. After approximating the sun’s angle we swayed our hands from east to west to track the sun's trajectory.
The experiment was hands-on and demonstrated how ancient techniques for tracking time remain accessible. It also made me think about my own connection to the natural cycles of the Earth. While the fist method is only a rough estimate, using my body to measure something felt like a continuation of how humans have long used simple techniques. It reminded me of one of my favorite maritime cultures, the Polynesians. The idea that they settled in distant lands in small boats, guided only by their deep understanding of the natural world and ancient navigational methods, astounds me. This experience has made me consider how combining simple activities like this one with objective science could be a compelling way to introduce students to natural observations.
We also engaged in an interesting exercise to match paint swatches to the plants and objects around us. The experience was more challenging than I expected. I started with greens, thinking that would be low-hanging fruit (no pun intended). Whether it was the swatches or my lack of focus, I gave up and moved to yellows. My best match ended up being a dying leaf I found on the ground, which still had enough life to fulfill the assignment before I laid it back down to die. Despite the amazing weather, this was a reminder that the changing season is upon us. September is my favorite month for this reason, it’s a season of reflection. I spent five years living in Ithaca, NY, where the fall colors were so vivid they made your eyes feel like they were bleeding…in a good way! Anyway, today’s class would have felt entirely different indoors. The Orchard Garden is growing on me.
Also, a big shoutout to Maddie for stopping by! I’m grateful I got to do some weeding and get my hands dirty.

Thanks Andy! I'm also fascinated with the ways that people have connected with the seasons, skies and a sense of time for millennia. Ithaca sounds beautiful!
ReplyDelete