One of the most important lessons I’ve taken from this course is the power of inquiry to uncover deeper connections, not only to the institution of education but, perhaps more importantly, to my own identity. Many of the readings emphasized the idea that teaching can foster connection and community, and I’ve come to believe this might be the most valuable aspect of teaching as a profession. Throughout the semester, we asked countless questions, explored possibilities, and embraced uncertainty. As I’ve shared before, I’m not entirely sure if I’ll end up teaching in a classroom capacity, but this course has been an amazing opportunity to explore topics that stretch far beyond my usual thinking. Ironically, one of the most hilarious takeaways from this math-focused course is that asking questions is almost never about finding the right answers!
Another key takeaway has been the importance of integrating equity and student voice into the classroom. Many of my posts reflect on the need to create learning environments where every student feels supported, heard, and valued. This idea resonated with me deeply, and I’m excited to continue exploring it next semester. As Marina reminded us today, good classroom theory needs to find its place in practice. Balancing curriculum demands with the diverse needs of students will be a constant challenge, but I find myself energized by the idea of working through these barriers.
At the start of this course, I had no idea how much writing would be involved. If someone had told me upfront that most of the deliverables would be reflective or creative writing (with some art-based elements), I might have hesitated to sign up. Initially, I felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of reflective posts and struggled to keep up with the pace, especially since it had been a long time since I’d written in this way. However, as the semester progressed, I found myself growing more comfortable with the writing process, particularly the creative aspects. After re-reading my blog entries, I can see that my interest and engagement in the course grew steadily throughout the quarter. By the end, I felt completely immersed in the work, and the inquiry project allowed me to explore the ideas and narratives I found most compelling.
If I had one suggestion to improve the course, it would be a small but practical one: a portable whiteboard for the garden! On a more serious note, I couldn’t be happier with how the class finished. It has been an incredible opportunity to reflect, grow, and experiment with ideas I would never have explored otherwise. Whether or not I ultimately teach in a traditional classroom, this course has stretched my thinking and left me with a renewed appreciation for the possibilities of inquiry-based learning.
To Susan and the class, I want to thank you all for being such an amazing group. Your insights, attitudes, and shared experiences made the environment not only educational but deeply meaningful. On reflection, I am reminded of Robin Wall Kimmerer’s words: “All flourishing is mutual.”
Have a great break, everyone!
Thanks so much for this in-depth and deeply thought-provoking writing, Andy! I've really enjoyed reading your posts and talking with you about important issues throughout our courses together. Whatever you decide about teaching in a conventional classroom and/or doing other things, I am sure that your thoughtful and heartfelt learning will offer so much to those you work with!
ReplyDelete