Saturday, September 28, 2024

October 3rd - Entrance slip: Science, math, language, Indigeneity

Thinking about my perspectives on scientific and mathematical terminology in “my” classroom was a challenging exercise. I find myself bouncing between the need for standardization and the importance of recognizing the goal of de-colonizing the curriculum. In teaching science and mathematics, above all else, I believe it is crucial to maintain objectivity and clarity. In my view, scientific and mathematical terminology provides a standardized language that is universally accepted and understood, which is particularly important in a classroom where precision is key to understanding. I believe this standardized language is especially critical in diverse environments like Vancouver, where many students are English Language Learners. I think for ELL students, having clear, consistent terminology would help bridge language gaps and ensure that all students have equitable access to understanding complex concepts. It allows students to engage with the material in a way that is not dependent on cultural background but is grounded in a shared vocabulary. I’m starting to think that one of my pillars would be to ensure that this updated, accurate terminology is communicated effectively to all learners so that the knowledge can be applied beyond the classroom. This would include things like standard units of measurement, symbols, logical operators, and standard object terminology. I wouldn’t want to create any confusion on these sorts of things as they seem fundamental in imparting an understanding of the curriculum we’re being asked to convey.

I’m also trying to envision a balanced approach to Indigenizing my math classroom by thoughtfully incorporating Indigenous perspectives and terminology. I think one way to do this is by exploring mathematical concepts through seasonal cycles and natural patterns, much like Robin Kimmerer emphasizes in her work. For example, connecting topics like rates of change to the growth of plants and animals throughout the seasons can give students a deeper, more connected understanding of how these mathematical ideas manifest in the natural world. Kimmerer discusses how observing seasonal changes is part of an Indigenous way of knowing, highlighting how natural cycles like the emergence of mushrooms (puhpowee) reflect an animacy that Western science often misses. By observing and tracking these seasonal changes in plants or animal migrations, students might develop an understanding of the numbers and the living systems they represent. This approach echoes Kimmerer’s idea of listening to nature and viewing it as animated and alive, fostering an appreciation for both mathematics and the environment.

Additionally, it seems like there might be opportunities to explore mathematical ideas through music, such as frequency, harmonics, and trigonometric functions, which can mirror the rhythms and patterns Kimmerer describes in natural phenomena. While Kimmerer doesn’t directly address music, her focus on interconnectedness and relational thinking might find extensions in the study of harmonics and rhythms in Indigenous music traditions. Exploring the nature of sound waves and vibrations connects to how Kimmerer emphasizes cycles and harmony. Furthermore, bringing in Indigenous terminology related to environmental stewardship aligns with Kimmerer’s concept of the “grammar of animacy,” where the language used reflects a deep respect and responsibility for the natural world. By framing math in the context of caring for the land and understanding natural resources, students connect abstract mathematical concepts to real-world issues, encouraging a sense of responsibility and respect for the environment. I’m speculating on many of these ideas. Still, I feel like some of these ideas tie into Kimmerer’s approach to making the math curriculum more culturally inclusive and grounded in lived experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

450 Final Entry - Reflection Through Inquiry

One of the most important lessons I’ve taken from this course is the power of inquiry to uncover deeper connections, not only to the institu...