Thursday, November 7, 2024

November 7th - Inquiry Project Exit Slip

After looking into the literature further, I’m thinking of narrowing my topic by focusing solely on Math. The new title would be Equitable Math Education for Neurodiverse Learners. Neurodiverse learners, including those with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and other learning differences, deserve access to rigorous and inclusive math education that fosters their engagement and produces academic success. However, research shows that many of these students face barriers that prevent them from reaching proficiency levels comparable to their peers. A cursory review of the literature suggests barriers such as a lack of professional development for educators, rigid Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) requirements, and inadequate support for integrating new teaching strategies are significant challenges.

Equity in math education means ensuring that every learner, regardless of their cognitive profile, has access to meaningful learning experiences tailored to their needs. To explore this in my inquiry project, I plan to focus on teaching methods that empower neurodiverse students, such as embodied learning techniques, sensory regulation through physical activity, and the integration of technology. While these areas offer a wealth of information, I intend to narrow my focus to one or two approaches based on the depth of available literature and practical applicability. I will also consider which of these methods might be most feasible for study within the context of Britannia or other communities I am connected to.


1 comment:

450 Final Entry - Reflection Through Inquiry

One of the most important lessons I’ve taken from this course is the power of inquiry to uncover deeper connections, not only to the institu...